Friday, September 25, 2009

A du'a for you and me

Bismillah.

O son, this is one of my favorite petitions (du'a). It is a du'a attributed to ahlul bayt which I had discovered not too long ago and it has stuck with me ever since. Alhamdulillah. It is simple yet comprehensive because it encapsulates three major aspects of life i.e. health, age and provision.


Allahumma inni as aluka sihhatan fi taqwa
wa thula umurin fi husni 'amalin
wa rizqan wasi'an la tu'az zibuni alaih

I am not well versed in Arabic, but it basically means: O Allah, grant me good health so that I will be God-fearing (taqwa); and grant me a long life filled with good deeds ('amal); and grant me vast provisions but do not punish me for it.
O son, observe the value and purpose of having good health. Be sure that your desire to live long is not for selfish or wordly reasons but for you to invest in good deeds. Realize that Allah may be giving you plenty of provisions but He may be testing you to see if you are grateful or heedless. Should you fail His tests, He may punish you for it.

May Allah s.w.t make us steadfast in presenting our du'a to Him with much humility and hope.
Ameen ya Rabbal 'alamin.

No comments:

Post a Comment