Saturday, April 17, 2010

Celebrating life

Bismillah.

O son, this posting came late because I was away visiting several blessed octogenarians (men and women who are between 80 to 89 years old). They were all relatives to a dervish friend of mine who is in her 70s. Alhamdulillah for the opportunity and the heartfelt lessons learned.

One of them was very well dressed. She had a nice watch on her wrist and a beautiful gold pendant around her neck. She talked animatedly about making preparations for a Majlis Zikr at her big house where there is a large hall meant for religious gatherings. She spoke with great enthusiasm as her husband read the newspapers (without a reading glass, mind you). They were both in their mid-80s. I commended her on her pleasant appearance, she just smiled and said "Oh I had 17 babies delivered through here.." while pointing at her belly! "Six of them are waiting for me in Heaven, InshaAllah." She got married at the age of fourteen, I was told. I found it hard to believe at first but not after looking at their wedding picture. Sweet, raw 14 she was!  MashaAllah.

One of them, Hajjah Nong Chek was bedridden. Her daughters seemed very distraught about their mother's condition but she was wearing a smile for her guests. The smile on her face somehow reminded me of a hadith qudsi:
'Allah will say on the Day of Judgment: “O son of Adam I was sick and you did not visit Me. He will say: O Lord how can I visit You. You are the Lord of the worlds? He says: Did you not know that My servant so and so was sick yet you did not visit him? Did you not know that if you had visited him you would have found Me with him?” (Muslim).'

We understood that moment why one of our gurus said that when you visit the sick, you are actually celebrating His af'al (actions). Allahu Allah!

O son, make it a habit to visit the elderlies and the sick. This I learned by example from my late father. May you follow what's good from us and leave what's not.

“There is not a Muslim who visits another in the morning except that 70,000 angels ask forgiveness for him until the night, and if he visits him at night then 70,000 angels ask forgiveness for him until the morning, and he will have earned a garden in paradise” (At-Tirmidhi).
May Allah keep us all on the Straight Path.
Pic credit: Fotomedia.com.my

No comments:

Post a Comment