Saturday, June 26, 2010

Haddad al-Qulub

Bismillah.

O son, we learned from the tazkira of Siddiq Osman NoorMuhammad that the Al-Haddads particularly Habib Abdallah bin Alawi al-Haddad and his grandson Habib Ahmad Mahshur bin Taha al-Haddad (picture below) were capable to soften a hardened heart and enlighten a darkened heart.

They were Haddad al-Qulub - "That is, one who purifies hearts (qulub) to make them glow and shine with the nur (light) of imaan (belief), just as an iron-smith (Haddad in Arabic), smelts iron to remove its rust and makes it glow in the furnace." May we benefit from this special quality of theirs, Ameen.


Today 14 Rajab, fifteen years ago, Habib Ahmad Mahshur bin Taha al-Haddad passed away in Makkah al-Mukarramah.  I have neither known him nor heard of him until a few days ago. What happened was, I was awakened in the middle of the night and inspired to check an email that had just arrived. It was about his haul. I immediately posted a blog about it. I then read the eulogies for him which moved me to tears - a lot. The next morning, I asked mom if she wanted to participate in the Khatam Qur'an for Habib Ahmad Mahshur, and she agreed. Alhamdulillah. Later when I got home, I saw her crying while reciting the appointed juz for the khatam. I have often heard my mother recite the Qur'an but I have never seen her cry so much while reading the holy verses. She paused to ask me, 'What is the habib's name?' and continued reading with tears in her eyes. MashaAllah!
 
Unlike some very fortunate people who had written wonderful eulogies for Habib Ahmad Mahshur al-Haddad, we never had the privilege to meet habib, yet we are just so happy that at least we now know his name - what a blessed name to know! That's all we need to connect to him here and now because as what Almarhum Shaykh Ibrahim Battawi had once said: "In the realm of spirits, there is no distance."  And we are happy to at least know his name so that if we were to meet him in heaven, we would be able to recognize him and call his name, InshaAllah.


Naf'anAllahu bih.
May Allah make us benefit from Habib Ahmad Mahshur bin Taha al-Haddad and all the venerated shuyukhs and habaibs who have left us.
Al-Fatihah.


Read special eulogies for Habib Ahmad al-Haddad at:
Iqra Islamic Publications

No comments:

Post a Comment