Monday, August 9, 2010

Do good to Him

Bismillah.

O son, no doubt we all need time to internalize what our gurus advise us to do. Yesterday it dawned upon me that when we do good, we must see ourselves as doing good to Him. Not that He needs it but I realize it makes a difference and it is different than to think that when you do good, you do good to people. This is what I learned from Shaykh Abdul Aziz. 

I know people always say be good to people and help them as much as you could. But ahlillah (people of the Lord) is saying treat it as though the recipient of your good deeds is He. Think about it.

Moreover, for ahlillah, it is no longer about collecting good points/rewards for wanting to go to heaven. They look beyond all that but to the Creator Himself. So, do good to Allah.

I think it makes a lot of sense. If you consciously do a favor to a person, you would somehow expect him/her to at least not dissappoint you although you may not actually anticipate a return from him/her. When you make yourself aware that you are doing good to Allah, you rise above the mortals and your sincerity becomes purer InshaAllah. That is so because you know He will never forget to account for it; that He knows, sees and hears everything and He is the keeper of all bounties. Your 'wages' is from Him. He is the ultimate 'paymaster' and 'employer'. So work for Allah.

Alhamdulillah, I treat this blog as a 'job' for Allah. It has become very enjoyable each day, especially with the support from the wonderful visitors who are always generous in offering words of encouragement. Thank you all!

This reminds me of one verse from the Qur'an that says: 'If you help Allah, He will help you.' (Surah Muhammad:7) Obviously He doesn't need our help in real terms. All He wants is good for His servants. He wants to help us and He is saying one of the means for that is to help Him for 'Allah helps those who help Him.' (Surah Hajj:40)

Therefore, if you want Him to help you, you must start thinking that whatever good deeds you do is as though you are trying to help Him and Him alone, not Mansur, Nora or whoever else. 

Subhanallahi amma yushrikun.
Glory be to Allah. High is He above the partners they attribute to Him. (Surah Al-Hashir:23) 

Wallahu'alam.

3 comments:

  1. Salam Sister Ezza

    Hope you are well, may Allah swt bless you with blissful days! I wanted to share my joy, I have found my guru :)) He is in the loving named as Shaykh-ul-Islam

    I remembered your post about Baba Aziz and your love for him. Now I know how you felt, what a beautiful feeling, the one I was seeking for I have found. Just news I wanted to share.

    WSalam
    R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salam dear Rehana,
    Mabruk! Congratulations! What a way to start Ramadhan. MashaAllah! You now have a guide! I am so happy for you : ) very happy! Please kindly convey my salam to your guru and kindly ask him to make du'a for me too.
    Ramadhan Kareem!
    Love always,
    Ezza

    ReplyDelete
  3. JKhair ^^. Subhanallah, I am overwhelmed with this blessing. Those around me do not understand, I am humbled that Allah swt has blessed me so. Your posts came to mind when I was trying to figure out whether he was geniune or not, this diminished as soon as he spoke. Inshallah I will do so, I am praying for you right now. I hope Allah swt showers you this Ramadan, I am always thinking of you.

    Ramadan Kareem to you to!
    Love, love, love

    R x

    ReplyDelete