Thursday, August 8, 2013

Eid Mubarrak 1434 Hijri | Salam Aidil Fitri 2013

Bismillah.

Alhamdulillah wa shukrulillah

During the Eid khutbah this morning, the khatib said, we should be having mixed feelings - happy to have attained success for having completed our obligations in Ramadhan but at the same time, sad to part with the boundless gifts of Ramadhan. That's the feeling the sahabah had. Thus, we should feel the same way too. He also said: "Eid according to a hadith of the Prophet salallah alaihi wasalam is not just a day to wear new clothes, get a new car, have a set of new furniture and curtain, and everything new. Eid, according to the hadith, is to have increased in taqwa."

And still, we would all be feeling differently this day anyway, you and I, he and she. I can't help but think of the mother who lost her two little boys when her house was ablaze a few days ago. But at least she is well to do. Some of us like this one lady I saw on the street of KL last week, she looked lost. She had one baby on her back and three toddlers tailing her, all looking so unkempt. And there I was watching, feeling guilty, humbled and grateful all at the same time. But in any case, we are all in His loving mercy and care - that woman who lost her boys in fire; that wandering woman with four kids; you; me - we all have our own stories - episodes as directed by Allah. Alhamdulillah ala kulli hal.

Anyway, Eid remains a day we all observe with gratitude, humility and a little cheer. This morning I had the pleasure of entertaining an Iranian couple I met at the mosque. They have been doing their post doctorate studies in Malaysia for 4 years and never once invited to a Malaysian home for Eid. I remembered when my mother and I were in the UK, we too had hoped some British Muslims would invite us to their home for Eid.

No matter where you are, on this Eid day, I wish you have joyous times with your loved ones. And a special warm greeting goes out to you friendly and loyal followers of this blog. I am here for you and I am not letting some unfriendly visitors spoil our space. I ask for your continued du'a and support. May Allah keep us in His loving mercy and protection always. May Allah accept our good deeds and forgive our shortcomings.

Eid Mubarrak!
In the Malay language, we say Selamat Hari Raya Aidil Fitri, Maaf zahir & batin.
  
                

No comments:

Post a Comment