Saturday, July 5, 2014

Died to the past

Bismillah.

This is another post-teraweeh rambling. Alhamdulillah wa shukrulillah for a wonderful iftar, for such a wonderful evening with our loved ones. Tonight I say to them, though figuratively speaking, I love you for a thousand years and a day : )

As much as we love the present, we must die to our past when the present comes to pass. I was re-reading Ibn Tufayl's classic and it's amazing how scholars in the 12th century could articulate the essence of sufism so daringly raw and yet subtle without even naming it as such. And his writing could attract the attention of non-Muslims that it got translated from Arabic into Latin, English and German and became a best seller particularly in the Western Europe in the 17th and 18th centuries. Ibn Tufayl described very artistically the significance of detachment from all things sensory. Detachment is the way to go if one wants to attain true freedom.

On one hand, I will say that I have died to my past. Past is so passe. Though it's funny that sometimes other people are more interested in our past than we are ourselves. Our past belongs to God really. It has entered His Book so let Him judge.

On the other hand, and on a lighter note I cannot seem to die to my past when I experienced that "mangrove episode" when I was openly ridiculed for not knowing the word mangrove. And as if 'rubbing salt in my wound', a friend cut out this newspaper article on the Top 10 must-see views and showed me why I must go to Gambia. Must see their mangroves! LOL. Allah bless our friends for their sense of humor. I read somewhere that "whoever surpass you in humor, surpass you in sufism". MashaAllah.



Good nite folks. Let's call it a day.

"I have died every day waiting for you,
Darling, don't be afraid,
I have loved you for a thousand years,
I'll love you for a thousand more."

- E


No comments:

Post a Comment