Saturday, October 18, 2014

Know what love is

Bismillah.

A love song, some of you might be familiar with:
I gotta take a little time
a little time to think things over
I better read between the lines
In case I need it when I'm older
 
Now this mountain I must climb
Feels like a world upon my shoulders
Through the clouds I see love shine
It keeps me warm as life grows colder...

I want to know what love is
I want you to show me...

***

Some terms we should get to know:
"As long as a person worships, he is called a "devotee"; as long as he knows God, he is called a "wise man"; as long as he perceives God, he is called a "gnostic"; as long as he turns away from all that is not God, he is called "ascetic"; as long as he lives righteously, he is called a "sincere one"; as long as he treads the path of friendship, he is called an "eager one"; and when he throws away all created beings in order to accept Him, he is called a "friend" and as long as he makes a gift of himself while witnessing Him, he is called a "lover" and when he becomes such that both his annihilation and his permanence perish in His existence once and for all, he is called a "passionate lover".

From Letter #48 of Sharafuddin Maneri's The Hundred Letters


I guess, you know you have love if you could see it. Because seeing is believing. But you won't know what love is until and unless you give it away. As said Shaykh al-Ninowy in his talks in KL on unconditional compassion, it's about giving and not just taking.

Through the clouds I see love shine : )

Maybe that's why in one of Rumi's seven advice, he says:
"In compassion and grace, be like the sun."

No comments:

Post a Comment