Friday, January 15, 2010

Turn away from what you want

Bismillah.

If you wish what you need to be given to you without your having to search for it, turn away from it and concentrate on your Lord; you will receive it if God wills. And if you gave up your needs entirely and were occupied only with God, He would give you all the good things you wish for in this world and in the other; you would walk in Heaven as well as on the earth; and more than that, since the Prophet s.a.w has said, in the very words of his Lord: "He who by remembering me (dhikir) is distracted from his petitions will receive more than those who ask."

Hear, faqir, what I said to one of our brothers (may god be well pleased with them): every time I was lacking something, great or small and turned away from it, in turning toward my Lord, I found it there in front of me, thanks to the power of Him who hears and knows. We see that the needs of ordinary people are filled by paying attention to them, whereas the needs of the elect are filled by the very fact that they turn away from them and concentrate upon God.
Greetings of Peace!

- Shaykh ad-Darqawi
Publisher credit: Fons Vitae

2 comments:

  1. Salam,
    Well said.
    It is like when one put light(Allah) as his object the shadow will definitely follow him along,but when the shadow becomes one object at end of the day what does one get were restless and tiredness,without getting anything.

    I am like a perodua kancil befitted with a formula one engine, just to show uncompatible between my Iman and Yaqin towards Him.My yaqin is high but my iman just not sufficient enough.

    When it is Allah who is the sole and the only the sustenance provider, but still could not bring the yaqin that Allah does not need or rely on any kind of material to feed or fullfill one needs. As a normal being, still need to learn how to make these two entity compatible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salam,
    Fortunately, as believers, we've got 'weapons'. We can make du'a. Fortunately we are among those who believe in the Prophet. Rasulullah s.a.w taught us in the fajr du'a:
    Allahumma inni as aluka iimanan kholisan yubaa shiru kolbi. Wa as aluka yaqiinan hatta aqlama annahu lan yusiibanii illa maa katab tahu 'alaiya. War ridho bimaa kosam tahu lii.
    "O Allah, I seek genuine iman filled in my heart and real certainty in knowing that nothing shall befall me save what You have written about me and that I will pleased with Your choice for me."
    Wallahu a'lam.
    Ezza

    ReplyDelete