Monday, September 12, 2016

Eid al-Adha 1437 Hijri/2016 | My "Raya Haji" [Eidul Adha] story

Bismillah.

Writing this on 11 Zulhijjah. Guess it's not too late to wish you all Eid Mubarak. Meant to post this yesterday on the 10th of Zulhijjah but was too occupied.

Eidul Adha celebration in Penang is usually not as festive as Eid al-Fitr. The latter is merrier, at least to me because my qurratu ain - children from my village - would pop up as soon as the Eid prayer is over. Wonder what they do on Eid al-Adha, apart from observing the qurban ritual.   

Only two little boys visited my house on Eidul Adha yesterday, and that's upon invitation because they happened to swing by my place the day before. They came by for a unique unexpected reason. They pressed the doorbell and shouted at me when they saw me appearing on the balcony [like the Queen lol] asking if I had any young daughters! I quickly replied no, of course. And they walked away upon hearing my reply.

I paused momentarily to think, why did they ask such a specific question? So I ran after them.

One of them explained as a matter of fact: "My mother asked me to find a buyer for these Barbie sandals because it's not the right size for my sister."

The boys were obedient indeed, they did not mind going around the neighborhood knocking on doors looking for potential buyers. Some kids at their age would be hesitant to undertake such a task. They sure are enterprising! 

I took the opportunity to invite them for Eid the following day, they said yes and they turned up at the appointed time! Masha Allah! May Allah bless them abundantly and may they grow up to be well mannered, successful and pious sons. They are cousins apparently and are of the same age. They are 8 years old.

This story may sound petty to some of you but not to me. I appreciate knowing about impressive young children like them. I cherish life and the kinds of life people lead. It's very interesting. It's an eye opener for me to see how colorful this life is to all of us.    

  
My precious Eidul Adha guests
The day before, they were out and about doing sales 
      
For a change, my family and I decided to go to a smaller mosque for Eid prayers instead of the usual Penang State Mosque. It's kinda sad to see how small the congregation was at this particular mosque. It used to be the most happening place for Muslims in Penang in the 1800s until late 20th century as it was the center for Islamic studies and hajj logistic activities, not just for Penang but also the South East Asia region. 

It makes one reflects how people and circumstances change over time.

Although the congregation was small, the Eid celebratory mood felt real and jovial. Everyone was treated to home cooked Eid meals, yes all the dishes were cooked by the mosque's committee MashaAllah tabarakallah!

Male jemaah for Eidul Adha prayers
at Masjid Lebuh Acheh, Penang.
The duá recited by the khatib didn't sound impersonal at all,
he made me feel like we belong to one close knit family 

OK folks, wish you all Eid Mubarak. Minal Aidin wal faizin wa maqbulin. Kullu am wa antum bil khair.

May you be among those who have happy returns. 

Best wishes and wasalamualaikum warahmatullah,
-E-













p/s
Pardon me for this back dated posting.


No comments:

Post a Comment