Friday, August 31, 2012

Thank God for Malaysia | My country turns 55




Bismillah.

Alhamdulillah wa shukrulillah. It is He who chose on which land we shall live and die. I say shukran lillah for having been born in Malaysia. Yes I am patriotic but you should know that my mother is 100 times more patriotic. We are both very grateful for this country, yes, and I wish to record my personal gratitude here. This country and its people have given me so much that it's a sin if I do anything unpatriotic. Being patriotic, to me, means being grateful.

The first time I tasted the generosity of its government was when I was 9 years old. I was given free breakfast in school for a couple of years. At 11, I enjoyed a free pair of spectacles. Though I couldn't understand then why some people were concerned about my eyesight. I also remembered the unending free dental treatment. Hated it but it was for my own good, no doubt. I cannot imagine being born in a less fortunate country, my teeth and smile wouldn't be as pretty. I also enjoyed a good education. Was in the bottom three at 7, but was top ten when I was 12. As a village girl I never dreamed of being able to speak a foreign language, but Island Girls' School changed that. Not nearly as good as my peers, still I am forever thankful.

Then they sent me to the best secondary school in town. At 15, because I did well in my exams I earned 2 scholarships that made me a few hundreds richer each month.  And another scholarship when I was 17. And hey they let me fly to the U.S. when I was 19 and sponsored my studies abroad. Would I be given such privilege if I was born in another country? Don't think so!  Then they paid for my airfare to attend a job interview even before graduating and secured me a job. How generous! Then I started working with a government-linked company where I've earned plenty, plenty of bonuses. Alhamdulillah

Just when I needed it, a policy was in place to let me use some of my pension fund to further my education. Oh the glass has never been half empty for me. I know some friends who have migrated and admitted to being unpatriotic. They couldn't appreciate the significance of nationalism. But like it or not they can't run away from being identified as a Malaysian. Do they not want to be counted as a Malaysian when in Makkah for example, where people think highly of this country, for our good manners and for being a Malaysian?

I started voting when I was 21 and never missed it. I don't care if other people want to talk about politics, this and that. All I know is that I am very grateful for the good things I've been given, and for the good life I've been living here in this land of sunshine. So I will always vote with thanks. Alhamdulillah wa shukrulillah. My pledge for this country as it turns 55, I shall give more good than I have taken InshaAllah. 

And you dear visitors, if you have even a tiny speck of appreciation for this blog, I don't ask for much, suffice that you remember, this is a Malaysian blog. Thank you.

May Allah protect this country and its people from people with evil intentions and from calamities. May Allah preserve the peace and prosperity that we have been enjoying so far. May Allah continue to nourish this country with barakah. May Allah make this country a blessed land where we may continue to practise Islam fully and freely. May Allah give us more good here in this dunya and in the hereafter. Ameen.

No comments:

Post a Comment