Saturday, February 9, 2013

Happy Chinese New Year



Bismillah.

YaHu! I love living in Malaysia. Because we are multiracial we get multiple...multiple...public holidays.

For the benefit of our visitors from abroad, let me mention some facts which are obvious to the locals. This weekend is a long weekend for us because the Chinese New Year falls on Sunday (tomorrow) so Monday and Tuesday are public holidays. Yay!

It's the time of the year when my Vitamin C intake is the highest of all months. Perhaps I speak for many. Because, to state the obvious again, oranges are in abundant supply everywhere.

Occasionally, a non-Chinese unmarried lady like me get lucky. This year I've received angpau (red packet) containing some nice...ehem...you know what.

So where shall we go this Spring Festival holiday? But before I spring to my feet and hit the road, I need to clean up the mess in my room. Maybe it's a good idea for you to do some spring cleaning too. Just like in any tradition/beliefs, we must first clear up the old and the bad to make way for the new and the good. 

I learned from one ustaz about takhali and tahali. Takhali is emptying oneself of negative traits. Tahali means filling/adorning oneself with positive traits. You may recall one earlier posting on this subject:
http://lisanaldin.blogspot.com/2009/05/two-strategies-on-battle-of-nafs.html

Yes, good to refresh our lessons just as it is good to refresh ourselves with those cartons of oranges.

Enjoy the holidays y'all!


"Life isn't like a book. Life isn't logical or sensible or orderly.
Life is a mess most of the time.
And theology must be lived in the midst of that mess."
-  Charles Caleb Colton
English sportsman and writer 1780 - 1832


p/s 
If you have not tried fried long beans with salted egg, then you should head to Haji Sharin Low - Chinese Muslim Restaurant in KL. That's my fave dish there.

No comments:

Post a Comment